[R-sig-ME] A little help on lmer format and interpretation

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Fri Feb 11 16:29:16 CET 2011

Dear Michael,

Do you have repeated measurements on the trees? In that case the maximal model would be lmer(Photo ~ B * T * W * S + (1|TreeID)) or assuming that the site has no effect on any of the treatments: lmer(Photo ~ B + T * W * S + (1|TreeID)).
Since you have only two site, you can't get good variance estimates of the site effect. Hence it is better to keep that in the fixed effects. With a large(r) number of sites you could go for a more complex model: lmer(Photo ~ T * W * S + (T * W * S|B) + (1|TreeID))

Without repeated measurements on the trees you have to drop the (1|TreeID) random effect. Hence you no longer have a mixed model if the number of sites is only 2.

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey