[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm: ixn between binary family-level factor and us() random effect

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Wed Feb 9 03:00:12 CET 2011

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Hi Jarrod,
>
> I've now compared the correlations estimated in MCMCglmm from a similar
> model to the one below (4x4 family VCV in a single group, mother and
> father residuals fixed to zero) with correlations estimated using FISHER
> and they are similar enough to reassure me that they're measuring the
> same thing.

The advantage of FISHER is that it is "easy" [for a value of easy where
easy=using FISHER ;)] to do an ascertainment corrected analysis (using
asthma to indicate probands, and possibly asthma prevalence in the
population to allow for your presumed Weinberg case-proband type design).
Doing this is MCMC usually requires tricks, such as the
"ones" trick.

Just 2c, David Duffy.