[R-sig-ME] lmer formula syntax?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 2 22:55:00 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Colin Wahl <biowahl at gmail.com> wrote:
> I too have found the Bate's book draft helpful, but I have not been able to
> get the lme4a package installed. The best description I have found to do so
> is:
> http://kmyu.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/installing-lme4a-in-r-mac-osx-10-6-4/

> I'm understanding that the lme4a package is dependent on a number of
> packages: RcppArmadillo, minqa and MatrixModels (available on CRAN
> respositories) and Rcpp version 0.8.8.1 or later (which is not; version
> 0.8.6 is).

(Actually it doesn't depend on RcppArmadillo).

You must be using Mac OS X.  If you check at
cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Rcpp you will see that the Windows
binary and the source code packages are at version 0.9.0 but the Mac
OS X version is only at 0.8.6, which is rather old.  I'm not sure what
the problem is as Romain develops on a Mac OS X system and he can't
reproduce the error.

However, you don't really need lme4a for most of the examples in the
book.  The lme4 package can't handle the profile-related material, but
the rest of the examples should be okay.  The output looks slightly
different but the parameter estimates should be essentially the same.