[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm R-structure problem in heteroskedastic model

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 12:21:35 CET 2011

Hi Paul,

When you fit an animal model, MCMCglmm introduces "phantom" parents
with missing data. These phantom parents allow the inverse of A (the
relationship matrix) to be a) calculated easily b) very sparse and c)
permuted for solving the mixed model equations more quickly.  When an
interaction is fitted between animal and a factor like asthma.family
phantom records are set up for all asthma.family/animal  combinations,
hence  6730 missing records in models 2 and 3. If the pedigree links
do not exist between individuals phenotyped in the two groups, then
there would be more efficient ways of setting up the model, but they
are not implemented. When the number of missing records is large it
can even be more efficient (in terms of effective sample size per
second) to do away with phantom parents and use a denser inverse A
(specify nodes="TIPS" in the call to MCMCglmm).
If some individuals in mfs.fam have not been phenotyped you can use
prunePed to remove useless individuals (make sure make.base=TRUE).

In model3 the phantom parents have not been assigned an asthma.family
because you have a simple random term ~animal.  When it comes to build
the R-structure it does not "know" what to do with the individuals.
These phantom parents could be assigned any asthma.family and it would
make no difference to the posterior, but unfortunatley I did not think
that far head when writing MCMCglmm. I will try and fix this in later
versions. The work around is to add the phantom parents to mfs.fam,
assigning them anything for the fixed effects but having NA for the
response. It should then run as intended.

Cheers,

Jarrod