[R-sig-ME] lmer formula syntax?

Toby Marthews toby.marthews at ouce.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 01:24:49 CET 2011

Hi Colin,

I'm perhaps not very "informed opinion", but:

- Shouldn't your formula be simply ept~wshed*riparia+(1|stream) ? (no need to put in (1|wshed/stream) because you've specified you've got non-implicit labels for your streams, i.e. if you know the stream number then you automatically know the wshed value already).
- Not sure about using stream:riparia as a random variable ...
- Also, where did you read that "wshed/stream" is interchangeable with "wshed:stream"? For me they're different ...

HTH?
Toby

Toby Marthews - Plant Ecologist / Modeller / Mathematician