[R-sig-ME] VERY simple question about NESTING in experimental designs (for glm, lme, lmer, etc.)

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Thu Jan 20 15:50:40 CET 2011

Dear Toby,

lmer(Birdlength ~ Country + (1|locnum/bnum)) # Is the correct model in your case
lmer(Birdlength ~ Country  + (1|locnum) + (1|locnum/bnum)) # is identical to the model above

The difference between (1|locnum/bnum) and (1|bnum) is that the former allows for location-specific effects (common to all birds on the same location). The random effect in the latter combines both the location-specific and the bird-specific effects.

(Country|locnum) is IMHO not a good idea because each location can be in only one country.

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey