[R-sig-ME] GLMM with overdispersion and Wald test

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Jan 10 09:17:55 CET 2011

Dear Thomas,

Removing the zero observations is IMHO a problem. Suppose one chick has
been fed and the other not. The data from the latter is missing from
your dataset. Then how can you see the difference between both chicks?

If I remember well, there were (are) some concerns about the quasi
family. The latest recommendation was to use the poisson family and add
an observation-level random effect. This random effect will have
variance when overdispersion is present.

Furthermore, you wrongly specified the nested random effect. It should
be (1|Nest/ChickID) instead of (1|ChickID/Nest).

Residiual degrees of freedom are not clearly defined in a mixed model.
Suppose you have N observations, f fixed effects df and one random
intercept with r levels. Then the residual degrees of freedom will range
from N - 1 - f - 1 (random effect takes one df) to N - 1 - f - r (random
effect takes r df)

Best regards,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey