[R-sig-ME] Mixed-model-binary logistic model with dependence between individual repeated measures

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 7 18:48:08 CET 2011

    > On 11-01-07 11:35 AM, Anna Ekman wrote:
    >> Ben Bolker, thank you for your suggestions.
    >>
    >> Yes, it is suprising that I in SAS and STATA have to assume
    >> independence between the measurements within an individual.

    > It's fundamentally a bit hard to specify correlation among individuals
    > in a non-normal model. One option is to go completely to the marginal
    > specification (which you said you don't want to do); probably the most
    > sensible statistical formulation is

    > (fixed effects)  eta0 = X*beta
    > (random effects) eta1 ~ MVN(mu=X*beta,Sigma=(something sensible such
    > as AR(1) within individuals))
    > y ~ Bernoulli(eta1)

Interesting... {I've been "taught" in the past that  correlation
                specification for non-normal, i.e. GLME models,
		would not make sense /  be possible,
		something you do not seem to support ...
}

Does the above mean {slight changes}

 (fixed effects)  eta0 = X*beta
 (random effects) eta1 ~ MVN(0, Sigma=(something sensible such
				       as AR(1) within individuals))

  (Y | X,eta1)  ~ Bernoulli( logit(eta0 + eta1) )

??