[R-sig-ME] Observation-level random effect to model

Ryan King c.ryan.king at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 14:36:22 CET 2011

Yes, you are correct.  If a lognormal distribution bothers you, you
can definitely combine conjugate RE for over-dispersion and log-normal
RE elsewhere in the predictor.  In the poisson example, you could
imagine doing random-effect negative-binomial regression.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.0990 implemented that using SAS NLMIXED.

Heuristically, you end up with non-zero residuals because the
assumption of normality for the subject-level effect adds an L2
penalty away from the maximum-likelihood estimate, which would be the
entire residual.

Ryan King
Dept Health Studies
University of Chicago