[R-sig-ME] Fwd: Interpretation of lmer output in R

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Thu Feb 24 13:56:44 CET 2011

Dear Julia,

Plotting the mean probability of foraging versus depth will make thing more clear.

Depth <- seq(0, 50, length = 101)
plot(Depth, plogis(-1.6898789+0.0007075*Depth), type = "l")

Note that the difference in probability between Depth = 0 and Depth = 50 is quite small and thus not relevant. So you have a variable (depth) in the model which improves the model, but has no biological relevance. Such thing can happen when you have a lot of data.

I would keep depth in the model, and conclude that is it have a neglectable effect. This is a case were rejecting the STATISICAL null-hypothesis allows to accept the BIOLOGICAL null-hypotheses. Which is stronger than not being able to reject the BIOLOGICAL null-hypothesis.

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey