[R-sig-ME] Logistic regression with spatial autocorrelation structure

Dale Steele dale.w.steele at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 18:45:20 CET 2011

Dear mixed-modeling  experts,

I'm interested in modeling the probability of appendicitis in patients
with abdominal pain.

The R binary data file 'http://www.ped-em.org/appy.rda' contains
the following variables from a pilot study of 138 children with
abdominal pain.

'dx'        eventual diagnosis:   0=no appendicitis, 1=appendicitis
'gender'       Male/Female
'wbc'       total white blood cell count
'priorprob'    Clinical predicted probability of appendicitis
'doc'       doctor who assigned 'priorprob'

After taking a history and performing a physical examination, the ER doctor
was asked to make a vertical mark on a 100 mm horizontal line to represent
her estimate of the (percent) probability that the patient had appendicitis.

My initial thought was to fit a multiple logistic regression model:

m1 <- glm(dx ~ gender + priorprob + wbc + doc, family=binomial, data=appy)

However, it seems likely that each doctor interpreted the probability scale
differently.  The 23 doctors evaluated from 1 to 17 patients each. I'm
not primarily interest in predictions by a specific clinician.  Thus,
it seems to make sense to fit a generalized linear mixed model.

At this point I get muddled. Have I correctly specified a random
intercept model (m2) and a random intercept/random slope model (m3)?
Are there other sensible models?

library(lme4)
m2 <- glmer(dx ~ priorprob + gender + wbc + (1 | doc),
           family=binomial, data=appy)

m3 <- glmer(dx ~ priorprob + gender  + wbc + (priorprob | doc),
           family=binomial, data=appy)

My ultimate goal is to estimate the probability of appendicitis
(and a prediction interval), given a specific 'gender', 'wbc' and
'priorprob' assigned by a doctor with similar diagnostic ability to
those who participated in our pilot study. I'm stuck on how to code this
prediction.

Thanks.

Dale

Dale Steele, MD