[R-sig-ME] p-values vs likelihood ratios

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 04:27:14 CET 2011

On 11-02-21 10:53 AM, Manuel Spínola wrote:
> What about evidence ratios (based on Akaike's weights) as described in:
>

> Burnham, K. P., and D. R. Anderson.  2002. Model Selection and
> Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-Theoretic Approach. _2nd
> edition_ Springer-Verlag, New York.
>

> Anderson, D. R.  (2008).  Model based inference in the life sciences:  a
> primer on evidence.  Springer, New York, NY.
>

> I still don't understand what are the benefits of p-values instead, for
> example, of effect size.  Many well known statisticians were very
> critical on p-values.
>
> See this sites against null hypothesis significant testinga and
> p-values: http://warnercnr.colostate.edu/~anderson/nester.html
>
> What is the use of a p-value on observational studies?
>
> Best,
>
> Manuel Spínola

  There are lots of ways to abuse p-values, but there are lots of ways
to abuse any kinds of statistics.  Burnham and Anderson have made
valuable contributions ... my problem with Akaike weights is that it's
not really clear *precisely* what they mean.  Again, I don't have an
issue with people who want to eschew hypothesis testing.  I have a
problem with the people who denounce hypothesis testing and then
re-introduce it by the back door via a method that is less well
understood (at least we have a painfully clear understanding of the
problems of p-values).

  As yet more interesting reading I suggest Stephens et al 2005, Journal
of Applied Ecology doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2005.01002.x

  cheers
    Ben