[R-sig-ME] Index-terms confusion

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Sun Dec 26 16:51:58 CET 2010

Petar,

Mediation analysis is not necessarily tied to multilevel models. While you
can certainly test meditation hypotheses with multilevel models, you can
also test them in data that do not have the grouped or nested structure
associated with mixed effects models.

Broadly speaking, mediation analyses are aimed at testing theories about
causal chains of variables so that you can better understand the process by
which one variable influences another. For example, if you believe that
variable A only has an indirect influence on variable C because of the way
it affects variable B, you can draw a path diagram  (A --> B --> C ), then
test the mediation hypotheses using various techniques described in
MacKinnon, Fairchild, & Fritz (2007)or MacKinnon (2008). The modern way to
test those hypotheses is via structural equation modeling (SEM), which can
also adjust for multilevel structure as well if you use software like Mplus.

It may help to remember that ultimately, multilevel models are a method for
correctly representing the non-independence of observations that may arise
because of how you did the sampling. They let you test all the sorts of
things you can test with simpler regression models, plus a few new
hypotheses about the variance structures.  Meanwhile, mediation analyses are
more narrow in scope and defined by the kind of hypothesis you are testing
than by the specific statistical model you are using to do so.

MacKinnon, D. P., Fairchild, A. J., & Fritz, M. S. (2007). Mediation
analysis. Annual Review of Psychology, 58, 593-614. doi:
10.1146/annurev.psych.58.110405.085542

MacKinnon, D. P. (2008). Introduction to statistical mediation analysis. New
York, NY: Taylor & Francis Group, LLC.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University
178 Giltner Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu