[R-sig-ME] design of nested mixed effects model with repeated measures

Andrew Dolman andydolman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 17:45:57 CET 2010

Hello Anna,

My first reaction on reading this was that your random effects
structure is far too complicated. In fact, I'm not sure you need to be
using mixed effects models at all.

> model1_lme<-lme (y~patch*date*fire ,random=~1|date/block/fire/patch/replicate)

There are a few issues I can see:

Fire is not nested in block at all, it is crossed, and it is not
random either. So fire should go from your random effects structure.

> model1_lme<-lme (y~patch*date*fire ,random=~1|date/block/patch/replicate)

Patch is not random either and even if it were it only has 2 levels
and so cannot properly be fit as random. It's also crossed with block
and with fire. (It's also a confusing name. Consider calling it
habitat, or canopy(T,F))

> model1_lme<-lme (y~patch*date*fire ,random=~1|date/block/replicate)

Replicate is nested in block but if treated as such should be coded as
1:12 rather than 1:3 inside fire. Also a good idea to make the coding
explicit that the reps are in different patches so A1-A12, B1-B12 etc.

> model1_lme<-lme (y~patch*date*fire ,random=~1|date/block/replicate)  # recode replicate so that they are unique

Date depends a bit on whether you are treating is as a factor or as a
continuous variable. However, either way it is crossed with everything
else.

> model1_lme<-lme (y~patch*date*fire ,random=~date|block/replicate)  # if date is a continuous variable
> model1_lme<-lme (y~patch*date*fire ,random=~1|block/replicate)  # if date is factor

The other consideration is that to fit a random variable you really
need at least 5 levels and block only has 3.

Christmas is about to officially start apparently, so I'm off.

Andy.

andydolman at gmail.com