[R-sig-ME] standardized coefficients in glmer model

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Sat Dec 11 21:29:23 CET 2010

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010, Leeuwen, Casper van wrote:

> model <- glmer (intact_binomial ~
>              species
>              + sex
>              + retention_time
>              + body_mass
>              + body_mass * retention_time
>              + (1 | individual)
>              , family = binomial (link = "logit")
>              )
> summary(model)
>
> summary() returns effects sizes given as coefficients of the different
> factors. However, I would like to indicate the importance of the
> different terms in the model, to determine the relative importance of
> for instance sex versus body_mass: which one is more important in
> explaining my dependent variable?

Given this is a logistic regression, there are various more or less
unsatisfactory equivalents of an R2.  You might be better off just
comparing effect sizes eg odds ratio (exp(beta)) for sex versus that for
the difference between the first and third quartiles of BMI or
from say BMI=20 to BMI=25 and BMI=30, presuming this is human data.