[R-sig-ME] lmer model specification for nested random effects

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 17:37:58 CET 2010

Hi,

> Is this what Douglas Bates call "implicit nesting"? If so, the recommendation is to create a new variable

I am not sure about implicit, but I'd argue that Id is nested within site. Whether you need a new variable is difficult to say without seeing the data: in my experience, if for instance you have 30 individuals and 3 sites, coding the individuals as 1 to 30 (and changing that to factor btw) is "absolutely" unique and should be enough, while if your id are coded 1:10 for each site, your coding is "locally" unique only and a new variable is required.

> data<- within(data, {siteid<- factor(site:id)}
>
> And the model specification...
>
> fm1<- lmer(y ~ x1 + x2 + (1|siteid), data)
>
> which seems to be identical to
>
> fm2<- lmer(y ~ x1 + x2 + (1|site:id)), data)
>
> What is the difference between the specifications above and
>
> fm3<- lmer(y ~ x1 + x2 + (1|id) + (1|site), data)
>
> I get identical results from models fm1 and fm2, but slightly different
> results from fm3.

I am not 100% sure, but my guess is that in fm1 you only have the (newly coded) ids as random variable, while in fm2/fm3 you have both site and id as random. The differences between fm2/fm3 are most likely to the fact you coded your individuals in a "locally" unique way, rather than in a "absolutely" unique way. Having said that, I am perplexed why fm1 and fm2 should give the same results.

HTH,

Federico C. F. Calboli
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Imperial College, St. Mary's Campus
Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG

Tel +44 (0)20 75941602   Fax +44 (0)20 75943193

f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com