[R-sig-ME] Another MCMCglmm question - fixing correlations

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Sat Dec 4 22:11:50 CET 2010

Hi Malcolm,

I meant replace the sir function in the R directory and rebuild +
reinstall MCMCglmm. However, I later realised that for your problem
there is a simpler way:

N <- 50 # set sample size
W <- matrix(rbinom(N^2, 1, 0.25), N, N)*upper.tri(matrix(1, N, N))
W <- W + t(W) # symmetrical connectivity matrix
rho <- 0.2 # set autocorrelation coefficient
L <- diag(N) - rho*W  # my L is your M^{-1}
X1 <- runif(N, min=-5, max=5)
Xbe <- X1+rnorm(N)
y <- solve(L, Xbe) # generate lagged y
dat <- data.frame(X1=X1, y=y, W=W)

prior1 = list(R=list(V=1, nu=0.002))
MC2 <- MCMCglmm(y ~ X1+sir(~W, ~units), data=dat, prior=prior1, verbose=F)

This works because ~units sets up an identity matrix and W%*%t(I) = W.

However, I could not get sensible results from MCMCglmm with rho=0.3
and wasn't sure why (rho=0.03 for example gives sense). The problem is
associated with a change in the sign of the determinant of L (or M)
(i.e the Jacobian), which is perhaps not that surprising since if W=I
then rho=0.3 and rho = 1.7 should be indiscriminable even with a fixed
residual variance:

y = Xbe/(1-0.3) = -Xbe/(1-1.7)

I would have to think about this harder than I have to offer a
solution (this is why the sir models are undocumented!), but perhaps
you have some insight?

Also, I don't think MC3 results are meaningless, the estimate for the
sir parameter overlaps zero as expected.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Malcolm Fairbrother <m.fairbrother at bristol.ac.uk>:

> Hi Jarrod,
>
> Thanks very much for the suggestion. However, in trying what you
> said, I'm not getting very far (see code below). I redefine the
> function "sir", and then re-install the MCMCglmm package. But the
> MCMCglmm function still seems to use the old "sir" function, not the
> new one, with the result that when I try calling sir in the middle
> of a call to MCMCglmm, I get an error message telling me that my
> call to sir is problematic ("Error in sir(W) : formula not passed to
> formula1 in sir"). Can you please clarify what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks again for any assistance.
> - Malcolm
>

> sir <- function(W) {W}
> install.packages("MCMCglmm")
> library(MCMCglmm)
>
> N <- 50 # set sample size
> W <- matrix(rbinom(N^2, 1, 0.25), N, N)*upper.tri(matrix(1, N, N))
> W <- W + t(W) # symmetrical connectivity matrix
> rho <- 0.2 # set autocorrelation coefficient
> M <- solve(diag(N) - rho*W)
> X1 <- runif(N, min=-5, max=5)
> Xbe <- X1+rnorm(N)
> y <- M %*% Xbe # generate lagged y
> dat <- data.frame(X1=X1, y=y)
>
> prior1 = list(R=list(V=1, nu=0.002), G=list(G1=list(V=1, nu=0.002)))
> MC1 <- MCMCglmm(y ~ X1, data=dat, prior=prior1, verbose=F)
> # works OK, compare with summary(lm(dat$y~dat$X1))
>
> identical(sir(W), W) # TRUE
> MC2 <- MCMCglmm(y ~ X1 + sir(W), data=dat, prior=prior1, verbose=F)
> # doesn't work
>
> fac2 <- fac1 < -factor(sample(letters, N, TRUE), levels=letters)
> MC3 <- MCMCglmm(y ~ X1 + sir(~fac1, ~fac2), data=dat, prior=prior1,
> verbose=F)
> # works--results are meaningless, but doesn't return any error
>

> On 2 Dec 2010, at 11:20, Jarrod Hadfield wrote:
>
>> Hi Malcolm,
>>
>> The suggestion of using SIR models for time series was a throw away
>> remark, but I can't see anything technically incorrect with it. For
>> example the model y[t] = \lambda*y[t-1]+..... can be treated as a
>> SIR model, although there are certainly better ways of fitting it.
>> I'm not familiar with spatial models and connectivity matrices but
>> if W[i,j] is a way of specifying y[i] = \lambda*y[j] + ... then it
>> is possible to fit it as a SIR model. You could modify the sir code
>> to do what you would like (and then reinstall MCMCglmm) , for
>> example:
>>
>> sir<-function(W){W}
>>
>> and then place W in the data.frame.
>>
>> MCMCglmm will associate design matrices with recursive/simultaneous
>> structures if the design matrix is returned from a function called
>> "sir".
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jarrod
>>

>> On 1 Dec 2010, at 20:10, Malcolm Fairbrother wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Jarrod,
>>>
>>> I'm very interested in this SIR feature of MCMCglmm, which I
>>> hadn't been aware of until your e-mail earlier today. Do I
>>> understand correctly that this should allow for feedback effects
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.