[R-sig-ME] Another MCMCglmm question - fixing correlations

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 12:20:42 CET 2010

Hi Malcolm,

The suggestion of using SIR models for time series was a throw away
remark, but I can't see anything technically incorrect with it. For
example the model y[t] = \lambda*y[t-1]+..... can be treated as a SIR
model, although there are certainly better ways of fitting it. I'm not
familiar with spatial models and connectivity matrices but if W[i,j]
is a way of specifying y[i] = \lambda*y[j] + ... then it is possible
to fit it as a SIR model. You could modify the sir code to do what you
would like (and then reinstall MCMCglmm) , for example:

sir<-function(W){W}

and then place W in the data.frame.

MCMCglmm will associate design matrices with recursive/simultaneous
structures if the design matrix is returned from a function called
"sir".

Cheers,

Jarrod

On 1 Dec 2010, at 20:10, Malcolm Fairbrother wrote:

> Dear Jarrod,
>
> I'm very interested in this SIR feature of MCMCglmm, which I hadn't
> been aware of until your e-mail earlier today. Do I understand
> correctly that this should allow for feedback effects between units,
> reflecting the fact that y(i) and y(not-i) affect each other? If so,
> this could be a useful way of fitting, for example, spatial
> autoregressive models, where some units may affect each other by
> virtue of being neighbours, and we would like to know the magnitude
> of these effects. (You mentioned time series, but some web searches
> haven't turned up much on MCMCglmm and time series. And time only
> flows in one direction, whereas units in space can have two-way
> effects.)
>
> However, in looking at the documentation and code, I've been
> struggling a bit with the "sir(~XX, ~XX)" part. Is there a way to
> specify a "connectivity" matrix directly, rather than using the
> "sir" function? Looking at the MCMCglmm code, as I understand it,
> "sir" is both a way of generating a connectivity matrix AND a way of
> telling MCMCglmm to treat the sir(~XX, ~XX) differently than other
> covariates.
>
> In the case of spatial autoregressive models, each element on the
> main diagonal of the connectivity matrix is 0, and rows are often
> standardised to sum to 1. Such a connectivity matrix might, for
> example, look like:
>
> N <- 100
> W <- matrix(rbinom(N^2, 1, 0.1), N, N)*upper.tri(matrix(1, N, N)) #
> chance of being neighbours is 0.1
> W <- W + t(W) # matrix is symmetrical, with zeros on the main diagonal
>
> But I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use "sir" to specify
> such a matrix in the middle of a call to MCMCglmm.
>
> If you see what I mean, can you offer any suggestions? I might take
> a stab at modifying MCMCglmm to make this possible, but before I do
> that (and I'm not certain I'll have the know-how) I wanted to check
> whether you had any ideas.
>
> Many thanks for any assistance or clarification you can provide.
> - Malcolm
>

>> Message: 5
>> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:28:43 +0000
>> From: Jarrod Hadfield <j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk>
>> To: Szymek Drobniak <geralttee at gmail.com>
>> Cc: r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org
>> Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] Another MCMCglmm question - fixing
>> 	correlations
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a way, but its quite involved and you may find it easier to
>> fit this type of model in something like ASReml if you can get a
>> license. If not ......
>>
>> I have implemented simultaneous-recursive (SIR) mixed models  in
>> MCMCglmm, although currently they are not well tested or documented
>> (See Chapter 9 of the CourseNotes) and cannot be used with non-
>> Gaussian data or certain patterns of missing data. Nevertheless, in
>> this example the existing code should work fine.  A simple SIR model
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.