[R-sig-ME] Repeated measure comparisons: should the identity be a random or a fixed variable?

Billy billy.requena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 21:26:15 CET 2010

Hi Jarrod,

Thanks for the reply.
I followed your suggestion to treat months as continuous variable and
the model selection result was totally different. In the first
analyses, model 2 (considering an additive effect of x and month) was
the most likely model, but after implemented your suggestion, the best
model was model 1 (considering only the effect of x, with month as a
random variable). However, I think in such case (following your
suggestion) there is an assumption that the third month, for example,
is in a higher level than the first or second month, right? Maybe
that's not the case in nature and my goal is exactly investigate if
the relationship between y and x could change from one month to
another, not necessarily always increasing or always decreasing. In
fact, the first sampled month is August and the last one is July of
the next year. Assuming a seasonal variation, maybe a should use a
circular statistics approach to deal with this case, I don't know.
Furthermore, I don't know if I really understand your other suggestion.

Thanks again and sorry for some misunderstandings.

Billy

--
Gustavo Requena
PhD student - Laboratory of Arthropod Behavior and Evolution

http://ecologia.ib.usp.br/opilio/gustavo.html