[R-sig-ME] Non normal random effects

Eric Edeline edeline at biologie.ens.fr
Sat Nov 27 13:43:49 CET 2010

Dear John,

thanks for your feed back and for the useful tutorial. Actually the
random effect in question is normally distributed (I did not check
before, sorry), so the problem comes from somewhere else. I am modeling
fish body size from a large dataset as a function of many covariates,
and adding a "species" effect (be it fixed or random) skews the
residuals but drops the AIC:

m1<-lmer(log(Length)
~log(Slope)+log(Width)+Temp*log(D)+Temp*log(Compint2)+Temp*log(Predln102)+Temp*Year
+(1|Species/Station),
data=Data, na.action=na.omit, REML=TRUE) #AIC 73427, skewed residuals

m2<-lmer(log(Length)
~log(Slope)+log(Width)+Temp*log(D)+Temp*log(Compint2)+Temp*log(Predln102)+Temp*Year
+(1|Station),
data=Data, na.action=na.omit, REML=TRUE) #AIC 147157, Gaussian residuals

This looks puzzling to me. Would you have an idea for why introducing a
normally distributed effect shews the residuals?