[R-sig-ME] P value value for a large number of degree of freedom in lmer

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Tue Nov 23 23:09:31 CET 2010

I think maybe the focus here should be on the substantive interpretation of the actual model parameters. Let's assume for the moment some effect has a significant p-value: the key then is to actually understand what the corresponding coefficient tells the analyst about the strength of that effect on the outcome. In some cases it may be trivial in practical importance, even if it is statistically distinguishable from zero (i.e., has a significant p-value). Unless you understand the units of measurement and associated with each variable and you have some external reference for what constitutes an effect size that actually matters, you can't properly interpret the results. That reference must be informed by subject-matter knowledge about the phenomenon being studied and the context in which it occurs.

For example, imagine that we have an effect showing us that, on average, 2 different groups of physicians have annual incomes that differ by $10/year and the corresponding effect is statistically significant (because we have a HUGE sample size). I should hope that the analyst would look at the size of that difference and recognize that it is absolutely trivial when compared to the actual average incomes for both kinds of physicians (perhaps on the order of $150,000/year). Heck, $10 is barely enough to buy 2 or 3 cups of coffee in places like Starbuck's. However if the difference was $10,000/year, then it might be worth saying it has some real practical significance in addition to statistical significance.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University
178 Giltner Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu