[R-sig-ME] Expected correlation in a mixed model

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 16:07:36 CET 2010

  However: centering the concentration doesn't actually have much effect
in this example (which it would if the remoteness from the origin were
the problem), i.e.

concsc <- scale(conc)
(lmer1<-lmer(od~concsc+(concsc|run)))

  This setup seems a little bit odd to me:
 * the data set size is fairly small -- only 4 levels of the random
effect ('run'), which often leads to this sort of collapse (zero
variances and/or perfect correlations)
 * there is no variation in slopes across runs (the only randomness
here is the error term).  Perhaps what you're looking for is

(lmer2<-lmer(od~concsc+(1|run) + (0+concsc|run)))

  which fixes the correlation at zero.

  * it's also the case here that the random effect on the intercept of
'run' is uniformly distributed, rather than normal -- I don't know if
that would have an effect.

 Ben Bolker