[R-sig-ME] problems with the variance in lmer

catferr catferr at libero.it
Mon Nov 22 14:38:06 CET 2010

Dear all
I am using lmer to analyze data on repeated measures of  physiological and hormonal parameters. In two cases (on five parameters that I have) the variance of the random term is equal to zero ( 0.000), suggesting an error in the way I am modelling the data. I was wondering if there is any function to define different correlation structure with lmer (I did not find a lot about it) or if you have other cues that I could try .
Thanks a lot in advance
Caterina Ferrari
UQAM

Here the output of one of my model

modid<-lmer(increase~I.II+sex+age+(1|ID), data=cort)
>summary(modid)
Linear mixed model fit by REML
Formula: increase ~ I.II + sex + age + (1 | ID)
   Data: cort
   AIC   BIC logLik deviance REMLdev
 249.1 258.9 -118.6    243.2   237.1
Random effects: