[R-sig-ME] sandwich variance estimation using glmer?

David Atkins datkins at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 5 17:12:15 CET 2010

On 11/4/10 3:06 PM, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> That's an interesting point, Dave.  Surely, however, there are better
> model diagnostics?  By 'better' I mean more likely to pinpoint the
> source of lack of fit within a model?
>
> Personally I wouldn't rely on the concordance between robust and
> asymptotic SE as an indicator of model appropriateness.  I don't see how
> it adds anything important to the diagnostic process.
>
> 1) if the match is bad, I'll examine the diagnostics, but
>
> 2) if the match is good, I'll examine the diagnostics anyway, as part of
> due diligence.

Andrew--

You are, of course, absolutely correct.  I use R almost exclusively, and
for the most part, not having robust SE doesn't really cause any
problems for me (in general, or with respect to checking diagnostics...
actually, I love it!).

 From my own experience, I have seen the HLM's software use of both be
helpful in the following way: I have several times had colleagues /
students come to me with output from HLM, noting the discrepancy between
SE and wondering what this means?  In essence, b/c that software puts
both of them in front of you, it's hard to miss when they are different
(esp. since p-values will then be radically different).

These times tend to be "teachable moments" in terms of what it is saying
about the model and data (and fit).  More often that not, the outcome
has been some form of count variable (which lurk quite commonly in
psychological/psychiatric waters), and thus we can talk about
distributional properties of the outcome vs. model, etc. (And I think
the mean-variance relationship of the Poisson tends to lead to large
adjustments with the robust SE.)

I would in no way suggest that lme4 should follow suit with the HLM
software, and I honestly doubt whether it would serve a similar purpose,
as more novice statistical users tend to be intimidated by R (given lack
of menus, GUI, etc.).

As I mentioned before, what I *would* be interested in are robust
approaches a la incorporating t-distribution in prior or likelihood.  I
am currently working with a colleague on an analysis of a small number
of groups, where we have discused this -- he's exploring WinBUGS as an
option at present (to follow-up on our analyses with glmer and MCMCglmm).

For what it's worth (and realizing it ain't all that much about R...).

cheers, Dave