[R-sig-ME] sandwich variance estimation using glmer?

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed Nov 3 13:57:18 CET 2010

Out of curiosity, why would you want a sandwich estimator from lmer? That estimator is typically used when the likelihood is misspecified, but you still want standard errors that account for correlations among units within a cluster.

Since this is what lmer standard errors already account for, is there a need for the sandwich?