[R-sig-ME] proportions data

mikhail matz matz at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 2 18:07:57 CET 2010

Hello colleagues,

I am looking at the functional correlates of fluorescent color in the
coral larvae. My response variable ("redness") is a proportion,
ranging from about 0.5 to 0.9. The distribution of these is not very
normal, unfortunately.  Arcsin-sqrt  transformation does not fully
solve the problem: about a quarter of all the groups that I am
comparing still deviate from normality (lillie.test). The data tend
to be ever so slightly skewed towards larger values, but with the
sample sizes I have even a small deviation from bell-shape leads to
rejection of normality.

  Is there anything I can do to be formally able to run mixed model
analysis on such data?

Misha