[R-sig-ME] IRT: discrimination parameters from LMER?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:40:17 CET 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Doran, Harold <HDoran at air.org> wrote:
> IRT people can be odd. Yes, your interpretation of the differences between the ltm package and lme4 are correct. lmer estimates the standard deviation of the population distribution, but ltm fixes it and then estimates a discrimination value that is constant for all items. It is currently not possible to estimate the 2pl using lmer, but that model can be easily estimated using other functions, such as those in ltm.

Thanks for answering!

I'm glad to learn I'm not grossly misunderstanding IRT/lmer. What do
you think about my observation about the fact that the difficulty
estimate from ltm seems to be systematically different/better than the
lmer estimate?

Do you care to weigh in on the question of whether lmer could ever be
made to fit a 2PL or 3PL model?  I mean, could I write a family for
lmer that would do that, or is the calculation required too grossly
different?

If 2PL or 3PL is really a whole different structure, I don't mind
using "ltm."  But defeats the ideal that you proposed in that 2007 JSS
article (which I really like!), that we might be better off fitting
specialized models with general purpose software.

Here's a similar example.  Sometimes I have wanted to fit ordinal
dependent variables, and have learned that those models do not fall
into the family of GLM and a tool different from lmer is necessary to
work on them.   I wish it weren't so, but have accepted reality.

pj