[R-sig-ME] psychometric function fitting with lmer?

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at dal.ca
Fri Oct 29 21:40:50 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Doran, Harold <HDoran at air.org> wrote:
>   First, I don't know how one uses OLS
>  to fit a probit model.

I've seen it done. Folks usually collapse responses to
means-per-value-on-the-x-axis  then either use a computationally
intensive search algorithm to minimize the squared error on the
proportion scale, or fit a simple linear function on the probit scale
(when they encounter means of 1 or 0, they "tweak" these values by
either dropping that data entirely or adding/subtracting some
arbitrary value).

Regardless, I suspect we both agree that these are inadvisable ways of
dealing with this data, but I'm not sure we are on the same page with
respect to the underlying paradigm motivating the data analysis.
Whereas the paper you provided appears to be discussing data derived
from questionnaires with different items, etc, I was thinking (and I
apologize for failing to be more clear on this earlier) of data
derived from studies of temporal order judgement and other
psychophysical discrimination studies. Here's an example that I
happened to find while searching google for an article not behind a
pay-wall:

http://www.psych.ut.ee/~jyri/en/Murd-Kreegipuu-Allik_Perception2009.pdf

In such studies, individuals are provided two stimuli and asked "which
one is more X", where the stimuli are manipulated to explore a variety
of values for the difference of X between them. For example, in
temporal order judgements, we ask which of two successive stimuli came
first, right or left, then plot proportion of "right first" responses,
accumulated over many trials, as a function of the amount of time by
which the right stimulus led the right stimulus (SOA, or stimulus
onset asynchrony, where negative values mean the right stimulus
followed the left stimulus). This typically yields a sigmoidal
function where people are unlikely to say "right-first" when the left
stimulus leads by a lot (large negative SOA values) and very likely to
say "right-first" when the right stimulus leads by a lot (large
positive SOA values. The place where this function crosses 50% is
termed the point of subjective simultaneity (PSS) and the slope of the
function indexes the participants' sensitivity (shallow slopes
indicate poor sensitivity, sharp slopes indicate good sensitivity).
Researchers are often then interested in how various experimental
manipulations affect these two characteristics of performance.