[R-sig-ME] Numerical integration for cross-classified random effects in lme4

David Atkins datkins at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 27 21:39:35 CEST 2010

Jeremy--

Just to chime in here, I think the devil is almost always in the details
of the specific data and model.  Thus, "Stata can 'do' AGQ for multiple
random-effects" really does not mean too much outside of a specific set
of data and model.

I recently assisted with an Epidemiology colleague who was trying to run
a cross-classified GLMM with logit outcome and ~45K participants.  After
24 hours Stata had made it through 4-5 iterations.  lmer() fit the model
in 5 minutes.

At the same time, that example does not mean lmer() is universally
superior for all models and datasets.  However, if you're talking
cross-classified data... it probably is. ;)

As for MCMC, I would strongly recommend taking a look at MCMCglmm, which
is a fully Bayesian package for generalized linear mixed models and very
good.

For what it's worth...

cheers, Dave
--
Dave Atkins, PhD
Research Associate Professor
datkins at u.washington.edu

Center for the Study of Health and Risk Behaviors (CSHRB)
1100 NE 45th Street, Suite 300
Seattle, WA  98105
206-616-3879
http://depts.washington.edu/cshrb/
(Mon-Wed)

Center for Healthcare Improvement, for Addictions, Mental Illness,
   Medically Vulnerable Populations (CHAMMP)
325 9th Avenue, 2HH-15
Box 359911
Seattle, WA 98104
http://www.chammp.org
(Thurs)

Jeremy wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, Doug.

I asked a colleague about this the other day, and she indicated that it
is possible to use numerical integration for multiple random effects in
Stata . . . but she wasn't sure if that would apply to cross-classified
models or perhaps just hierarchically nested random effects.

On a related note, I'd be interested in using MCMC estimation, and I
remember reading a while ago that you were thinking about integrating
that option in lme4.  Since then, I've seen some evidence that there's
an mcmcsamp option, but I haven't been able to find any representative
scripts so far.  Do you know of any examples that would be good to follow?

Thanks again.