[R-sig-ME] Assessing linearity

Andrew Dolman andydolman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 17:59:39 CEST 2010

Hi Mike,

Couple of things.

poly() is used like this

a <- rnorm(100)
b <- rnorm(100)

m2 <- lm(a~poly(b,2))
summary(m2)

To compare a model with a linear predictor and a quadratic polynomial
you can do this:
m0 <- lm(a~1)
m1 <- lm(a~poly(b,1))
m2 <- lm(a~poly(b,2))
anova(m1,m2)

In the case of likelihood fitted models you'll get a likelihood ratio test.

You wouldn't normally fit a quadratic term instead of the linear term,
rather in addition, so m2 has 1 extra parameter. You can compare
multiple models at once with anova(m0,m1,m2), or you can go the AIC
route and calculate deltaAIC for your set of candidate models.

Unless you expect the non-linearity to be polynomial shaped you might
be better off fitting splines with varying number of knots/df.

andydolman at gmail.com