[R-sig-ME] Assessing linearity

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at dal.ca
Sun Oct 24 18:43:17 CEST 2010

Ah, this looks promising! So how does this sound:

I typically assess the evidence for a relationship between the
predictor and response variables by comparing the AIC values for a
model including the predictor to a model without it. In the case of
grade_as_numeric, I'd do:

fit_null = lmer(
    formula = response ~ (1|individual)
    data = my_data
)
fit_null_AIC = AIC(fit_null)

fit_alt = lmer(
    formula = response ~ (1|individual) + grade_as_numeric
    data = my_data
)
fit_alt_AIC = AIC(fit_alt)

grade_loglikratio = fit_null_AIC - fit_alt_AIC

Now, if I wanted to check whether there is a quadratic component to
the grade effect, I'd first compute an analogous likelihood ratio for
the quadratic fit compared to the null:
fit_alt_quad = lmer(
    formula = response ~ (1|individual) + poly(grade_as_numeric)^2
    data = my_data
)
fit_alt_quad_AIC = AIC(fit_alt_quad)
grade_quad_loglikratio = fit_null_AIC - fit_alt_quad_AIC

Then compute a final log likelihood ratio between the improvement over
the null caused by grade versus the improvement over the null caused
by grade as a quadratic:

grade_lin_vs_quad_LLR = grade_loglikratio - grade_quad_loglikratio

I could repeat this for higher-order polynomials of grade, each
compared to the order directly below it, to develop a series of
likelihoood ratios that describe the relative improvement of the fit.

Does this sound appropriate?

Cheers,

Mike

--
Mike Lawrence
Graduate Student

Looking to arrange a meeting? Check my public calendar:
http://tr.im/mikes_public_calendar

~ Certainty is folly... I think. ~