[R-sig-ME] Chi-square test on random effects

Ned Dochtermann ned.dochtermann at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 18:33:23 CEST 2010

Hi Rob,
Thanks, I didn't know about that package and a simulation approach certainly
seems preferable.

However, and I easily could be wrong about this, it is worth noting that the
example used for exactLRT looks problematic to me. The two models are fit
using lme and lm which do not necessarily produce commensurate likelihoods
(lmer and lm do not, and I don't think lme and lmer do). Also, and this is
the part I'm a bit less sure about, but when you're comparing models like
those in the example I think you would have to use ML rather than REML. That
seems like something users should be informed of.

I'm really just a dabbler when it comes to this stuff so further
clarification from yourself and others would be useful.

Thanks,
Ned

--
Ned Dochtermann