[R-sig-ME] C test functions for lmer()

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 3 17:28:11 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM, murat k. <skorsky12 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, the caller side must be C based for my needs; Thanks for the lme4a
> suggestion.

> I also saw an nlme package, which was a precursor to lme4 I belive.. Its
> interface seems to use more of basic C types, so it is easier to understand.
> I might actually go with that option, instead of lme4 which is too tightly
> integrated into R at this point.

Well the code in the nlme package is more than 10 years old and we
have learned a lot about the computational methods in the intervening
years.

If you just want to fit a simple model with a random intercept you
would be much better off starting from the equations or the C++
classes instead of trying to decide what the internal C code in either
nlme or lme4 is doing.