[R-sig-ME] multilevel time series?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 30 21:56:21 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:34 AM, ONKELINX, Thierry
<Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be> wrote:
> Dear Malcolm,

> Your design requires IMHO crossed random effects instead of nested
> random effects. Individual is clearly crossed with year. Each individual
> can be surveyed in more that one year and vice versa. If they were
> nested, all data from a specific individual would come from only one
> specific year. The same goes for state and year, they are rather crossed
> than nested.

Malcolm's original description mentions modeling a linear trend in
time, which would make sense to me.  Even taking into account the fact
that a person can move from one state to another (hence you don't have
strict nesting of the person and state factors) such data can still be
analyzed using lme4.  Before doing so I would want to plot response
versus time for several individuals, just to see if a linear trend
looks adequate.  Having 15 to 20 different time points per subject
would allow you to model more than a linear trend within subject.

Sometimes people will approach such a case using time series methods,
even though the series are rather short.  Simple relationships like an
AR1 (first-order autoregressive) model generate marginal covariance
patterns that are very similar to that generated by a model with
per-subject random effects for the intercept and the slope with
respect to time.  This is why I don't usually combine these terms.  It
is hard to separate out the effect of each.

Your suggestion is somewhat different.  It is more like a panel data
type of model and could definitely be appropriate if the effect of a
particular year was more-or-less common across subjects.  This type of
model is applied to data like the quarterly profits of several
companies.  Macro-economic forces can (and did) have industry-wide
effects on the Q1 results in 2009 so it makes sense to regard each
time period as distinct.

If, on the other hand, you had time trends within individuals but not
synchronized across time periods then I would set up a model for the
within-subject time trends and try to incorporate random effects in
that model, as Malcolm seems to indicate they have done.