[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm: Within- versus between-individual covariances

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Sun Sep 5 18:53:08 CEST 2010

Hi Ned,

Currently it is not possible to specify covariance matrices with
arbitrary covariances set to zero. If you can reorder the terms so
that the covariance matrix has a block structure (eg swap trait 2 and
3 in your example) then you can fit this is in the random terms.
However, the residual term can only be specified by a single term so
this is not possible. You can still run the model with a us structure
of course, but as you are aware the posterior distribution for the
non-identified covariances will simply be the prior distribution.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Ned Dochtermann <ned.dochtermann at gmail.com>:

> I tried to find an answer to this problem but either failed to select the
> proper search terms or this topic hasn't been discussed. I apologize if the
> former. I've also consulted the "class notes" for MCMCglmm but that hasn't
> clarified the issue for me.
>
> I am currently working on the analysis of some repeated measures behavioural
> data and am attempting to estimate variances and covariances among
> behaviours. Specifically we're looking to estimate the between-individual
> (co)variance matrix and I was using a multi-response model and the Poisson
> family in MCMCglmm to do so.
>
> I had thought that the posterior modes for the (co)variance matrix (i.e.
> posterior.modes(model$VCV)) was producing this on the latent scale, with the
> ".ID" terms being the between individual (co)variances and the ".unit" terms
> being the within/residual indvidual (co)variances. This conclusion was based
> on Jarrod Hadfield's appendix to the recent animal model paper published in
> the Journal of Animal Ecology (2009). In the appendix discussing MCMCglmm
> for repeated measures, repeatability is calculated using the .ID variance as
> the between individual component and the .unit variance as the within
> individual component.
>
> The problem I've encountered is that due to the experimental design certain
> aspects of the within individual covariance matrix should not be
> estimatable, but estimates are nonetheless reported. This is, of course, due
> to my misspecification of the model.
>
> To use an example provided by a colleague, consider a situation where three
> distinct behaviours are measured and we're interested in their covariance.
> Due to aspects of the experimental manipulation all the behaviours cannot be
> measured on the same days. Thus the data might look something like:
>
> ID	Day	Behav1	Behav2	Behav3
> 1	1	4		NA		10
> 1	2	3		NA		15
> 1	3	NA		5		NA
> 1	4	NA		4		NA
> 2	1	2		NA		12
> 2	2	1		NA		18
> 2	3	NA		4		NA
> 2	4	NA		3		NA
> N	1	6		NA		8
> N	2	5		NA		6
> N	3	NA		8		NA
> N	4	NA		7		NA
> [[note, I know these fictitious data aren't necessarily Poisson distributed
> but the actual data are]]
>
> In this case between individual variances and covariances can be calculated
> among all three behaviours and within individual covariances should be
> calculated between Behav1 and Behav3 but not for Behav2 with either 1 or 3
> due to separation.
>
> In attempting the initial analyses I specified the random statement using an
> unstructured matrix:
>> random=~us(trait):ID
> (I'm pretty sure that's what I want and what produces the between individual
> covariance matrix)

> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.