[R-sig-ME] nlme question...

Jeffrey Harring harring at umd.edu
Mon Aug 30 19:47:46 CEST 2010

  Hi all,

Can the algorithm in nlme handle a nonlinear function that is written as
a design matrix and linear coefficients like the following

The model is a nonlinear growth model with five time points: y = X*b +
e, where design matrix X is defined as

X= |  1   0  |
    |  1   1  |
    |  1   k  |
    |  1  2k  |
    |  1  3k  |

and parameter vector b = (b0, b1). And where "k" is a parameter to be
estimated. Of course I also want to estimate the intercept (b0), slope
(b1). Error variances (e) with 5 free parameters and random effects
covariance matrix  (2x2: for b0 and b1).

If anyone has concrete suggestions I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for your consideration,
Jeff

Jeffrey R. Harring, Assistant Professor
Department of Measurement, Statistics&  Evaluation (EDMS)
1230 Benjamin Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-1115

Phone: 	301.405.3630