[R-sig-ME] GLMM, LRTs and post-hocs

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 26 02:22:00 CEST 2010

1) The LRT is a more reliable guide than what I assume are the modified
Wald statistics that you are using for the post-hoc comparisons.  The
Wald statistics involve approximations that can play havoc with the
distributional assumptions that are commonly use.
2) Even if both tests are pretty much beyond reproach, as in some
normal theory contexts, different testing procedures may give different
answers. The LRT is an overall test, automatically taking a/c of multiplicity.
If you believe in adjustments for multiplicity, or (a better reason, I consider)
think that such an adjustment accords with the aims of the project, you
might go with the LRT.

Now for what may seem something of a hobby-horse.  I wish we could
move away from this heavy reliance on p-values.  Often, it will do much
better justice to the data to say:

a) These (. . . .) are the effects stand out clearly, pretty much irrespective
of the twists and turns of the way that the results might be interpreted . . .

b) Next note effects that are borderline . . .  Remember that there can be
model uncertainty as well as the statistical uncertainty that a particular
form of analysis identifies.  With GLMMs that have a fixed scale factor,
there is the issue of whether observation level random effects are
required to adequately account for the variation.  If there are such
effects, then unless they are very small and/or there are many
observations, think carefully before taking too much notice of p-values
that may be given for the Wald statistics.

c) Whichever way one shakes it, remaining effect estimates are
consistent with statistical variation.

This way of presenting results would, often, give a clearer and
more honest account of the data and of model uncertainty.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm