[R-sig-ME] longitudinal with 2 time points

array chip arrayprofile at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 10:02:01 CEST 2010

Hi Marc,

I have to admit that I didn't get a chance to carefully read the article before
my previous reply. So I want to wait till now to respond after finally I got a
chance to read the article. Thanks for your excellent explanation below. I agree
that the coefficient for treatment is estimating the extent of the difference
between treatment and control in the CHANGE of glucose in week 4 from baseline.

Now my dataset becomes a little bt more complicated: each glucose testing was
done twice (blood was draw from left arm and right arm and tested separately. So
for each patient, on each time point, there are 2 measurements (from left and
right arm separately). So I think I should now include factor "arm" as a random
effect:

lmer(wk4.glucose ~ baseline.glucose + treatment + gender + age+
(1|subject/time))

What do you think of this model specification?

Adiitionally, since I am using mixed model now, if I code a new variable “time”
(either 0 or 4) and new response variable “y”, how do I specify a mixed model
with 2 random effects, one with respect to “time” variable (2 time points per
subject per arm), the other with respect to “arm” variable (2 arms per subject
per time point)?

Thanks a lot!
 John