[R-sig-ME] Modeling polar coordinates

Luca Borger lborger at uoguelph.ca
Wed Aug 18 18:16:32 CEST 2010

Hello,

unless I'm misunderstanding, isn't this one of those cases were you need to
use circular regression methods? e.g. for an example:

S. Rao Jammalamadaka and Ulric J. Lund (2006) "The effect of wind direction
on ozone levels - a case study".
Environmental and Ecological Statistics 13(3): 287-298

so to analyse a variable like day of the year you need to multiply it by
2*pi/365, then you can model it as a combination of sin and cos terms of the
circualr variable in mixed effects models (please check the details for the
polar coordinates - I think you can look up the examples where wind
direction is modeled?).

HTH

Cheers,

Luca