[R-sig-ME] Testing whether I need a random effect?

Milani Chaloupka m.chaloupka at uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 18 03:51:08 CEST 2010

Ben

perhaps this is a one approach to test for random effect in the glmm:

1) fit poisson glm instead

2) extract residuals (type = "d")

3) add to dataframe

4) load nlme package

5) fit lme model with residual as the response var, 1 as the explanatory var (like ~1) and the random effect on RHS (like random ~1|trial)

6) fit lm model with residual as the response var and 1 as the explanatory var (no random effect included)

7) LLR test using anova for the lme model vs lm model (AIC and BIC also valid here)

8) viola??

Milani