[R-sig-ME] Worked analysis of owl data

Chris Mcowen cm744 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 09:26:37 CEST 2010

Hi Jarrord/Ben and list

Thanks for this.

I have extended the model to a gaussian error with 5 level response variable (IUCN- 1-5) this is a as discrete variable but is an approximation of an underlying continuous spectrum.

The reason i am worrying about the residuals ( please follow link to a new picture - https://files.me.com/chrismcowen/0v6ys4)

 Is that i want to use the fitted values from the model to predict extinction risk ( the response variable) - that way i could include species that don't have a extinction risk, species that weren't in the original model, but for which i have all the necessary life history data. However i am unsure if this is possible with lmer?

I hope this makes sense, and thank you for your help

Chris