[R-sig-ME] [R-sig-eco] LRT tests in lmer

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 11 17:37:02 CEST 2010

Hi Chris,

It is hard to say as it will depend on the fixed effects. In addition
its not clear whether such a situation is diagnostic of a problem.
Imagine you just have an intercept which is estimated to be exactly
zero. The residuals on the data scale will be either 0.5 or -0.5, but
this does not imply the model is wrong.

Cheers,

Jarrod

On 11 Aug 2010, at 15:41, Chris Mcowen wrote:

> Thats great thanks,
>
> But will this work where you have a binary response variable or will
> the residuals clump around 1 and 0?
>
> Chris
> On 11 Aug 2010, at 15:31, Ben Bolker wrote:
>
> On 10-08-11 10:21 AM, Chris Mcowen wrote:
>> Dear Ben/Rob.
>>

>>> As far as I can tell, the standard advice is simply to look at the
>>> predictions of the model, compare them with the data, and try to
>>> spot any systematic patterns in the residuals.
>>>

>> I have plotted the residuals of my model - https://files.me.com/chrismcowen/v586vx
>>
>> I have been made aware that  that lmer uses the random effects in
>> its  prediction ( Jarrord Hadfield). And this is reflected in the
>> residual plot with the the long lines of equal residuals all
>> belonging  to the same family - i.e 200 - 600 is the orchid family
>> and 650-100 is the grass family.
>>
>> So is there a work around with a glmm?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Chris
>>

>  If you want to do population-level predictions from a GLMM (i.e.
> setting all random effects to zero), the basic recipe is to (1)
> construct a model (design) matrix for the desired sets of predictor
> variables (if you want to the predict the observed data rather than
> some other set, you can just extract the model matrix from the
> fitted object); (2) multiply it by the vector of fixed effect
> coefficients; (3) transform it back to the scale of the observations
> with the inverse link function.  There's an example on p. 6 of http://glmm.wdfiles.com/local--files/examples/Owls.pdf

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.