[R-sig-ME] longitudinal with 2 time points

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Aug 11 15:20:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'll throw in a reference that covers some of these issues:

Statistics Notes
Analysing controlled trials with baseline and follow up measurements
Vickers and Altman
BMJ. 2001 November 10; 323(7321): 1123–1124.

The basic model specification would of course be:

  lm(4Wks ~ Baseline + Group)

You will also want to test for an interaction between the baseline score and your grouping factor, in case the observed group (eg. treatment) effect is dependent upon the value of the baseline measurement. In this case, unlike in the above paper, you of course end up with crossing fitted regression lines, rather than parallel lines.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz