[R-sig-ME] longitudinal with 2 time points

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 09:04:01 CEST 2010

All these are possibilities, except maybe making baseline measurement
a random factor.  This would make sense only if data divide into groups,
and you want the baseline effect to vary randomly from group to group.
That may limit your ability to estimate parameters that are of interest.
In most circumstances that I am familiar with, it makes better sense to
treat baseline effect as fixed.

John.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm