[R-sig-ME] Clarification needed about the terminology used whentalking about mixed models

Paolo Innocenti paolo.innocenti at ebc.uu.se
Mon Aug 9 18:17:49 CEST 2010

An animal model is a mixed model in which you use a "pedigree" to
estimate your variance components, instead of defined levels within a
factor. This pedigree provides information about the relationships among
your observations. I have no idea about how it works, but Jarrod
Hadfield provides this reference when talking about animal models in his
MCMCglmm package (in which you can fit animal models):

C. R. Henderson. Simple method for computing inverse of a numerator
relationship matrix used in prediction of breeding values. Biometrics,
32(1):69–83,
1976.

Someone should correct me if what I said is wrong =).
Best,
paolo