[R-sig-ME] Fitting crossed random effects in lme (not lmer)

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 3 19:44:16 CEST 2010

Sorry for the late reply.  As I indicated in another message, I was at
useR!2010 then on vacation.

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Christoph Scherber
<Christoph.Scherber at agr.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Let´s assume I have an lme model with the following random effects structure:
>
> random=~1|block/plot
>
> Now, further treatments are applied at the next smallest level, but they
> are on the same hierarchy. In lmer notation, this could be parameterized
> as
>
> ...+(1|block/plot/treatment.type1)+(1|block/plot/treatment.type2)

I'm not entirely sure that would be successful.  The expansion of the
/ in the grouping factor in lme4 doesn't do a full symbolic analysis
of the terms.  Instead it is more of a macro expansion.  I think that
would probably end up with multiple random-effects terms of the form
1|block and 1|block:plot and a model for which unique parameter
estimates are not defined.

> How could I specify the same structure in lme?

It would not be easy to do that.  In fact, I'm not even sure it is
possible.  I think my advice would be to stay with simpler model
specifications.  You would need a huge amount of data to be able to
estimate parameters in such a model successfully.