[R-sig-ME] Negative estimates of variance component

Chris Brien Chris.Brien at unisa.edu.au
Fri Jul 30 23:38:43 CEST 2010

Dear all,

Doug, thanks for the information that negative estimates are not possible with lme4 and nlme.

As for the questions from others about why would you want to do it, there are a number of reasons.

Of course, variance components must be positive. However, one reason, given by Littel et al in  SAS for Mixed Models, to allow negative estimates is that it controls Type I error better and in certain circumstance may give better power. This is essentially related to the issue of pooling non-significant error terms. In SAS MIXED there is an option to allow negative estimates.

Another reason is that variance components might be interpreted as components of excess variation or even excess covariance. Then negative values indicate less covariance between than within groups, as Jerome explained. However, as suggested in the "Heywood case" scenario, reasons for negative estimates need to be investigated to make sure that it really is negative covariance. As for fitting using structured covariance matrices as suggested by Ben, this is a nice way to go about it but requires that the software has this capability. Lme4 does not have it and nlme is not good at fitting crossed factors - a gotcha' situation.

A third reason is that in order to approximate a randomization analysis, one needs to allow for negative estimates. I reiterate that here I am thinking of variance components as surrogates for components of excess covariance.

So, I do not agree that it is in the category of "consistency with older method-of-moments estimates". The issue is more that there is no coherent way to specify the types of models of which I am thinking in current software packages.

Cheers,

  Chris