[R-sig-ME] model selection with mcmc

catferr at libero.it catferr at libero.it
Mon Jul 19 18:47:47 CEST 2010

Dear all
  I am trying to run some models on behavioral data by using lme4 and
mcmcsamp. I am new with this approach and  I have a question I would like to
ask you: once I select the best random structure, what is the best way (or more
advisable at this stage) to do a model selection from a full model (e.g.
including all potential important variables as fixed effects) to the best
model? I was wondering if it would be better to use the AIC criterium or to run
the mcmcsamp on the full model. in case I use the mcmcsamp on the full model
which is the correct way to proceed? I will check for further reference on this
topics but if you have some suggestion it would be very appreciated.

thanks a lot
Caterina Ferrari
UQAM