[R-sig-ME] question about random coefficients model (RCM)

JOSE A ALEMAN aleman at fordham.edu
Sat Jul 17 16:52:22 CEST 2010

Dear list users,

I have a question about how to estimate the RCM described by Western (1998)
in his article "Causal Heterogeneity in Comparative Research: A Bayesian
Hierarchical Modeling Approach". While I know how to estimate this model in
R via restricted maximum likelihood, I am at a loss as to how to interpret
the results. The random coefficients are supposed to be different for each
country, yet R provides  a standard regression-like output with a single
coefficient for the variable with the random slope. How would I go about
extracting the country specific information?

Thanks.

Jose A. Aleman
http://faculty.fordham.edu/aleman