[R-sig-ME] Failure to load lme4 on Mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Jul 17 03:51:10 CEST 2010

On Jul 16, 2010, at 9:30 PM, Daniel Myall wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>

>> Can you tell me what are you using for that? I could use that myself :). I'm not aware of any VM so far that can run OS X 10.5.8 client as guest OS...
>>

> Virtualbox [http://www.virtualbox.org/] can run OS X 10.5.8 as a guest OS (only legal on Apple hardware, etc, ....).

I'm using VB but according to docs only the server version is supported, not the normal one... (I didn't actually try it but their docs say specifically that it doesn't work).

>>> If there is a bug in Mac OS X 10.5.8 or Xcode 3.1.4 resulting in the two errors in the tests that have so far been seen,  I am curious as to why it is only being exhibited with lme4. Once the VM has installed I'll play around with compile-time optimisations of lme4 to see if they are exposing the bug.
>>>

>> It's not clear that the bug is on OS X or Xcode - it may or may not - from experience the issue is quite often a real bug but it can be masked other things such as memory layout, optimizations etc. I strongly suspect that in the current case since the result depends on the preceding code so it may be something like an uninitialized variable or so. We had both before, but lme4 is the only one failing in the current setup...
>>

> Thanks (looks like it will be fun to debug!).

Unfortunately :/ I had a quick look but that was not enough - I still need to find some time to dig deeper ...

Cheers,
Simon